Monday, December 9, 2013

It's a Little Bit Chilly

This week has been the coldest so far of my mission! I've been out walking in about -10 degree weather. It's crazy, but I am generally staying pretty warm! Sadly, I can only attach one picture per post, so I'll have to make multiple posts if I want to show multiple pictures. It was a tough choice, but I thought that I would include a selfie this week.



Some of you may not appreciate this picture, but I don't care! I want everyone to know that my mission is not all work every day. We make it fun, even if it means taking humiliating pictures of ourselves with our breakfast. I can't believe I've been gone for over 5 weeks! It's crazy. I'm really getting used to the schedule, and I'm starting to develop some routines. As you can see in the picture, I am feeding myself quite well, considering my budget.

I have some news for everyone. Last week I mentioned the possibility of working in Spanish. It's official. Next week, my companion I will move to a new, more central apartment and I will work strictly with the Spanish speaking people here in Casper. It will be very overwhelming to teach the Gospel in a second language, but I'm really looking forward to it! I know that God will strengthen and help me as I enter this new phase of my mission, continuing to do His work.

The members here are very excited to have four missionaries working in Spanish, and the Spanish group leader has been especially welcoming. He has fed us three times this weekend, with two dinners and a lunch. I bring this up mostly because I want to brag about a new delicacy I have added to my diet. For the first time on Saturday, I tried "tacos de lengua de vaca" which were amazing! In case you couldn't interpret that, I had cow tongue tacos! The family shredded a whole cow tongue and fried it for us to put in tacos. I would really suggest trying it. It was honestly amazing. Just put some lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and salsa verde on it. OOOOH-EEE.

Another plus of this week was all of the opportunities we had to teach. We taught about twice as many lessons as any other week. I never feel the Spirit of God more strongly than when I'm teaching. When I present the gospel message to people, the testimony I have of Jesus Christ and His teachings quite literally burns inside me. There is no other way to describe it. I know that God lives, and I know He loves all of His children. I know that He teaches the gospel of Jesus Christ through men who he authorizes with the Priesthood. These men are called prophets and apostles, and there are some who God has called today to speak to us in His name. This gospel taught by Jesus Christ and the prophets will help anyone and any family with any struggles they are having if they are willing to change with their whole heart and follow Jesus Christ by having faith in Him, repenting of their sins, being baptized by someone with that Priesthood of God, receiving the Holy Ghost and continuing faithfully throughout their lives. If you live this gospel as taught in the scriptures, you will find peace and success in your life. Not the success you may currently be seeking for, but the success that God wants for you in your family and in your heart. You will find happiness and direction in your life, and you will ensure the blessings of eternal life with your Heavenly Father after your mortal life. It is through Christ's suffering and death that we can receive forgiveness and the other mentioned blessings that God has for us.

I am realizing more and more that my duty to share this gospel is not based on a to-do list or a desire for personal glory. It is rooted in my personal conversion to and love for the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is apparent to me because of the love I feel for my brothers and sisters all around me. As I have tried my best to follow Christ and live His teachings, I have felt sincere love not only for my friends, but for everyone I meet. We all have the same Father and have no business turning each other away. This love makes me automatically want to share the gospel and invite everyone to follow Jesus Christ and feel the same peace and direction that I have felt in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment